WHAT: A Lobby Day for water justice legislation in the Michigan House of Representatives
WHO: Constituents of the House Local Government Committee and activists with the People's Water Board Coalition
WHERE: The State Capitol in Lansing
WHEN: Weds. January 31st, 8:30 - 4:30pm
WHY: To raise our voice to our representatives in support of House Bills 4393 and 4389/4390!
On Wednesday, January 31st, People Water's Board Coalition is organizing constituents of the Local Government Committee to meet with their representatives to discuss House Bill 4393 (Shut-Off Protections) and 4389/4390 (Decriminalizing Reconnection of Water Service). Our goal is to build relationships with the representatives and to build momentum for hearings on these bills. Above all, it is most important that we recruit constituents of the Local Government Committee to attend (the committee is listed below).
If you would like to join us in Lansing on January 31st, 8:30 - 4:30, please complete this form as soon as possible (Firm deadline of January 28).
And by all means, we welcome your support in getting folks from the districts below to attend.
Here is a link with more information about the bills, as well as below.
Feel free to call Eleanor Gamalski with questions: 248.990.8049
Shut-off Protections - House Bill 4393 (Chang)
Institutes water shut-off protections for seniors, families with minor children, and those who are disabled. Provides for clearer notices for households at risk of being shut-off. Creates a low-income water assistance fund (similar to Michigan’s statute to protect households from utility shut-offs).
Decriminalization - House Bill 4389/4390 (Chang/Garrett)
Decriminalizes individuals who reconnect their water service after being shut-off for an inability to pay. Currently the recommended sentence for re-connecting service is a five-year felony. The bills would change sentencing to a civil infraction for first or second offense and a misdemeanor for third offense.
These bills have been referred to the House Committee on Local Government. The committee is:
- Chair: State Rep. James Lower, 70th District (R) - Montcalm County and Gratiot County
- Julie Alexander, 64th District (R) - Jackson County
- Roger Hauck, 99th District (R) - Isabella County and Midland County.
- Ben Frederick, 85th District (R) - Shiawassee County and Saginaw County.
- Gary Howell, 82th District (R) - Lapeer County
- Jim Runestad, 44th District (R) - Highland, White Lake, Springfield, Milford, Waterford
- Kathy Crawford, 38th District (R) - Lyon, Northville, Novi, South Lyon, Walled Lake
- Terry Sabo, 92nd District (D) - Muskegon
- Jim Ellison, 26th District (D) - Royal Oak and Madison Heights
- Patrick Green, 28th District (D) - Center Line and city of Warren
- Jeremy Moss, 35th District (D) - Southfield, Lathrup Village, Beverly Hills, Bingham Farms, Franklin.
215 N Capitol Ave
Lansing, MI 48933
Google map and directions